Power Boat Courses
Power Boat Level 1 & 2
Course Duration: 2 Days
Course Cost: P.O.A.
The Level 1 & 2 course covers basic boat handling, engine checks and safety. It is ideal for the new owner who is conscious of the difficulty and potential hazards of boat handling in the marina and wishes to obtain more enjoyment for all concerned by setting out simple passages in safety.
It is also a useful course for the crew. Apart from the obvious safety value of having extra boat handlers on board, it adds interest if everyone can understand and contribute to successful passage-making.
This course forms the basis of the ICC which is very useful if you intend to purchase your own boat.
The Level 1 & 2 Course can be be done on your own boat if required. Please contact me above for more information.
The Power Boat Level 1 & 2 Course Detail
Previous experience required: None
The course is mainly practical and is continuously assessed, there is no written exam. It's my aim to ensure all students complete the course.
The syllabus for the Power Boat Level 1 & 2 Course comprises the following items:
- Launching and Recovery Boat
- Handling Securing to a Buoy
- Leaving and coming alongside
- Man Overboard
- The types of craft and their respective advantages/disadvantages
- Engines & drives
- Use of power tilt & trim tabs
- Safety checks
- Personal buoyancy
- Awareness of other water users
- Application of the collision regulations (IRPCS)
- Local bylaws
- Towing and being towed
- Communication with other craft
- Emergency action
- Distress signals
- Fire precautions and fire fighting
- Rope work